The name WhatSAB is a reference to the question “What’s up?”. Funny, huh? It also stands for “What’s up with my SabNZBd?” as this is exactly what the app is doing.
Sounds similar to the wildly popular instant messenger WhatsApp? True, but I thought the app name was too good to pass 😉 No seriously, go get WhatsApp, it’s a fantastic app.
WhatSAB does not allow to download any files. It is only an interface for your SABnzbd server to monitor your active and completed downloads and to configure basic parameters.
You can permanently disable the ads with an in-app-purchase. Simply tap on the “x” below the ads or go to the settings and look for “Shop”.
You need to create a script that sends the push notification to one of those services (for example as a pre-queue script or when a download finishes) and activate that script in sabnzbd. See the sabnzbd wiki for more information on pre-queue scripts and user scripts.
Once you receive such a push notification on your iDevice you can configure the receiving app to open WhatSAB. Use the following custom URLs:
This opens the downloads tab, useful for pre-queue scripts notifying you about new downloads
Opens the history tab, useful for user scripts notifying you about completed or failed downloads
Prowl: Easy Push Notifications
Developer: Prowl Solutions LLC
Developer: Pushover, LLC
How to use
When connected to your server simply tap on the top status window (the one where you see the server name and basic information). This will open the server details with information about the current server status, download speed, warnings and so on.
The server details allow several interactions:
- Refresh the details with the top left button
- Pause / resume downloads by tapping the “Server Status” row
- View the sabnzbd changelog by tapping the “New Version” row (only visible if you don’t have the latest version installed)
- View warnings by tapping the “Warnings” row (only visible if there are warnings)
- Set the global download speed limit by tapping the “Download Speed” row. Set it to zero if you don’t want any limit.
- Shutdown SABnzbd by tapping the “Shutdown” button on the bottom
This is missing in WhatSAB 1.1, you need to delete and re-add the server with the new api key.
Starting with WhatSAB 1.2 (not released yet) you can go to Settings -> Servers -> Edit -> Select your server and enter the new key on the bottom.
You can read through this tutorial, that explains in detail what to enter where.